Monday, April 4, 2011

About twofing

Hey there. Haven't really had time to do this post but I'll dump a bunch of information here which I basically ripped off of this link: http://www.dadenjo.de/blog/wetabinstallationvonkubuntu

I'm going to assume that you have Ubuntu running on your WeTab and have configured the Multitouch driver properly as I've explained in earlier posts.

Now, download the latest twofing package...I worked with this one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/T101MT?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=twofing-0.0.7.tar.gz

Unpack it somewhere and have alook at its content.

Install some needed libraries:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxtst-dev libxi-dev x11proto-randr-dev libxrandr-dev

 Now open up the file 70-touchscreen-egalax.rules and change the Product ID to match the device ID you get from your lsusb output.

SYSFS{idProduct}=="72a1"

Finally run "make"
and then "sudo make install"

Now start twofing: twofing

If you want to run twofing at startup use the --wait flag in your call. (twofing --wait )

 So now you should be able to do some fun stuff like using twofinger to scroll up and down and so on. To be honest I haven't had much use for it really, especially because it converts all single finger touches to double-clicks which annoyed the heck out of me, but occasionally it will be useful if I need to use the mouse roller (brightness applet for ubuntu doesn't seem to work any other way...). I considered modifying the code to remove the double-click "feature" but then I didn't have that much time on my hands.

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. I don't experience the "double-click feature". One finger touch = single click (left button), two-finger touch = single click (right button). I'm using the same version of twofing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...I wonder why I'm experiencing that..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give it a try as soon as I can find some time to experiment. I own a second WeTab since last week, allowing me for a bit more experimental stuff (the first one is the replacement for my notebook, so I need it for work). Both run Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 (the first still in dual boot with WeTab OS).

    Your posts on getting touch etc. to work on the WeTab have been more than useful, so hopefully I can shed some light back ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! I'm actually considering putting in some debug printf's to figure out what's going on with twofing on my WeTab...but work trumps play, have a bunch of things to read up on, so if you find something let me know!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete